RNY June 10, 2015. Any advice you would have liked to have gotten before surgery?

Chilipepper
on 6/4/15 9:07 am

In my opinion, any form of Splenda is crap. You are only getting 1gr of fiber per tsp. Splenda ALWAYS put the brakes on my weightloss

Most likely what you are dealing with now is from the preop diet. When you are postop and eating mostly protein you won't have the issues that you have now. You don't need a fiber suppliment now. After surgery you will. I would call the surgeons office and tell him about the diarrhea now. You don't want to dehydrate so close to surgery

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 10:01 am - Yuba City, CA

Thanks for the reply. My surgeon is already aware. This isn't new. I've had this diarrhea problem since I was little. It's an issue that so far has been undiagnosed.  My surgeon and GI Doctor actually put me on the fiber supplements  I'm also on a powder medication to try to get it to stop.  I'm on 2 protein shakes a day already. They unfortunately make me have diarrhea to. I'd rather have this then constipation I think though.

Chilipepper
on 6/4/15 1:42 pm

Have you tried Questron? I used that prior to my revision because of bile salts diarrhea 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NoelWeibel
on 6/5/15 8:13 am - Yuba City, CA

No I haven't. The stuff Im taking now starts with a C and its like an orange tasting powder you mix with water. They are having me take it once a day with Benefiber and Probiotics mixed in.  Did Questron work?? Right now I have 6-7 sessions a day.

Chilipepper
on 6/5/15 1:53 pm

Cholestyramine is Questron. Questron is the brand name. Just take that and stop the fiber. 

ShebasMom
on 6/3/15 8:28 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Miralax

TimeForMe61
on 6/3/15 9:05 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Ditto on the miralax and colace. Who knew that a bowel impaction could happen within one week of surgery on a liquid diet. My recommendation is to take it religiously until you know what your new normal is. There was NOTHING more painful than this happening on top of having a sore abdomen!!

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:29 am - Yuba City, CA

Will this still happen if I have stomach issues and have diarrhea several times a day now?

TimeForMe61
on 6/4/15 8:53 am - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

I had IBS with diarrhea for years before surgery. Never constipated. So this was a very unwelcome surprise. For me, the protein shakes do it. So, if I have a shake (I only have one every other day), I have to take miralax prophylactically!

sor09
on 6/3/15 11:17 pm

It's only over night so you don't need that big suitcase and all that stuff. I never opened it.

Most Active